The Best Way to Experience Philadelphia Is by Hiking It.
Get outdoors with local author and hiking expert Lori Litchman with the new full-color edition of 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Philadelphia. These trails transport you to scenic overlooks, wildlife hot spots, and historical settings that renew your spirit and recharge your body.
Go bird-watching at John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge. See the unique ecosystem at the New Jersey Pine Barrens, with its diverse plant and animal life. Enjoy nature in Wissahickon Valley Park, which is only minutes from the city center and has over 50 miles of trails. Immerse yourself in history at the Valley Forge National Historical Park.
Each hike description features:
- Key information on length, hiking time, difficulty, configuration, scenery, traffic, trail surface, and accessibility
- Information on the history and natural history of the areas the hikes pass through
- A detailed trail map and elevation profile
- Clear directions to the trailhead and trailhead GPS data
- Tips on nearby activities
Whether you are a local looking for new places to explore, or a visitor in the area for business or pleasure, 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Philadelphia will provide plenty of options for outings lasting a full day to a couple of hours, all within about an hour’s drive of Philadelphia and the surrounding communities.