Your Portland, Oregon, Backpacking Adventure Begins Here
Spend a night or a weekend in the wilderness. Experience the mountains, coast, old-growth forests, gorges, and canyonlands of Oregon and Washington. Local authors Becky Ohlsen and Douglas Lorain guide you to a spectrum of one- and two-night backpacking trips, from short hikes to extended treks of 20 miles.
Explore the Columbia River Gorge, Coast Range, Clackamas River country, Mount Jefferson, and southern Olympic Mountains. Take in the majestic views of the Pacific Northwest’s signature volcanic peaks: Mount Hood, Mount Adams, Mount St. Helens, and Mount Rainier. The Portland area is a short jaunt from boundless backpacking opportunities, so get away from the city hubbub to rejuvenate in nature.
Inside You’ll Find
- 58 featured trips within more than 3 hours of Portland, plus 40 bonus trips
- Detailed trail descriptions, permit requirements, and more
- Easy-to-follow maps with directions to backcountry campsites
- Author ratings for each trip’s scenery, difficulty, and solitude
- Advice for beginner backpackers and tips for backpacking with children
- Author recommendations on which trips are great for kids or are dog-friendly