For nearly 40 years, Sierra North has inspired thousands of hikers to explore California’s Sierra Nevada. Now in its 9th edition and 150,000 copies later, the completely reorganized and updated classic guidebook showcases new trips and old favorites, and has extended its coverage north to the Tahoe Sierra backcountry.
Some 86 meticulously selected trips traverse Yosemite National Park, Hoover Wilderness, Ansel Adams Wilderness, Carson-Iceberg Wilderness, Emigrant Wilderness, Desolation Wilderness, and the proposed Castle Peak Wilderness. The trips are now organized around major highway sections for easy selection; pick an area, drive there, and go, and range from quick overnighters to 11-day excursions.
This guide makes planning a trip into the northern Sierra backcountry easier than ever before with:
- 36 trailhead maps showing routes for every trip
- Complete trip details, including permits, suggested topo maps, day-by-day trail descriptions, GPS waypoints, and elevation data
- Beginner-friendly trip recommendations
- Trusted advice on camping, fishing, and bear safety
- Useful information on side trips, history, geology, and natural history