For nearly 40 years, Sierra South has inspired thousands of hikers to explore California’s Sierra Nevada. Now in its 8th edition and 140,000 copies later, the completely reorganized and updated classic guidebook showcases new trips and old favorites, as well as extended coverage.
Some 84 meticulously selected trips traverse Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks, John Muir Wilderness, Ansel Adams Wilderness, and many more of the stunning wilderness areas and national forests in the southern Sierra. The trips are now organized around major highways and roads for easy selection; pick an area, drive there, and go. Trips range from quick overnighters to 12-day traverses.
This guide makes planning your trip into the southern Sierra backcountry easier than ever before with:
- 41 trailhead maps showing routes for every trip
- Complete trip details, including permits, suggested topo maps, day-by-day trail descriptions, GPS waypoints, and elevation data
- Beginner-friendly trip recommendations
- Trusted advice on camping, fishing, and bear safety
- Useful information on side trips, history, geology, and natural history